moving truck

What is a Moving Permit and Why Might I Need One?

When you’re moving to a new city, there are many different factors that you’ll want to take into account to make sure that the move is relatively hassle-free. In larger cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco, it’s possible that a moving permit will be necessary for people who want to use a moving truck to transport their belongings from one location to another. A moving permit is designed to reserve a parking spot for the moving truck that you use. In Los Angeles, there are three separate types of moving permits that you can obtain, the primary of which is an oversized vehicle permit.

With this permit in hand, you will be able to park a moving truck in a specific location for an entire day, which will give you time to unload your belongings without needing to pay any additional fees or fines. While moving permits aren’t always necessary when moving to a new location in Los Angeles, it’s highly recommended that you obtain one to save time and money when searching for a place to park. In sizable cities like LA, finding a parking spot can be extremely difficult without a moving permit.

You can purchase this type of permit at a Department of Transportation public service center. Permits cost only $10 per day and can be obtained for three consecutive days if needed. This article goes into detail about moving permits and when you might require one for your move.

Key Takeaways:

  • Obtaining an oversized vehicle permit for your moving truck is the most affordable option in many cities.
  • In Los Angeles the permit only costs $10 a day and lets you park in that spot for 3 days.
  • If you are looking to obtain this type of permit, it is recommended you apply for it at least 2-3 weeks before your move.

What are the Costs of a Moving Permit?

costs and details of moving permit

As touched upon previously, the costs associated with a moving permit are relatively low. In Los Angeles, a standard oversized vehicle permit will cost you $10 per day, which will allow you to reserve a parking space ahead of your scheduled move. In other cities, it’s possible for these permits to cost anywhere from $20-$70 per day. For instance, Boston charges around $69 for two separate parking spaces that aren’t metered. Metered parking costs an extra $40.

As for Philadelphia, this type of permit costs $25 but only lasts for a single day and covers about 40 feet of total parking space. The problem with the Philadelphia moving permit is that the amount of parking space that’s reserved may not be enough to cover lengthier moving trucks. While long moving trucks can require around 3-4 parking spaces, the Philadelphia moving permit only provides enough space for roughly 2-3 parking spaces.

Keep in mind that metered parking in Los Angeles can cost you upwards of $9 per hour, which is considerably more expensive than reserving a large space for your moving truck. It’s also possible that you won’t be able to find a parking spot on the day of your move, which could lead to frustration and costly delays as you wait for a spot to open up.

The Permit Process

moving parking permit process

The process involved with obtaining a moving permit is a relatively straightforward one. If the drop-off or pick-up location for your moving truck is in an area where parking spaces are difficult to come by, there are two options that you can explore before seeking an oversized vehicle permit. First, you can contact the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety to obtain a temporary no parking sign from them, which can cost anywhere from $10-$70. Once you have obtained the sign in question, there are companies that will install the sign in your parking spot for around $250. However, these are costly solutions, which is why you might prefer to seek an oversized vehicle permit.

When looking at oversized vehicle permits, these permits will cost you $10 per day. While some cities allow individuals to apply for permits online, the oversized vehicle permit can only be purchased by mail or in person. The permit application is available at this link. When you want to mail the application, make sure that you include the necessary documents, finalized application, and $10 check in an envelope that’s addressed to:

City of Los Angeles
Preferential Parking Permits
PO Box 67589
Los Angeles, CA 90067
ATTN: Oversize Vehicle Permits

It’s also important that you make note of the dates that you require the oversized vehicle permit for. You will need a separate permit for each day. Since you can only obtain three permits at a given time, you’re only allowed to keep your moving truck in a single location for up to 72 hours. Two proofs of residency in Los Angeles will need to be given alongside the completed application. These documents will need to include your residential address and name. The types of documents that can be used as proof of residency include:

  • Your driver’s license
  • Any gas bills that you’ve received in the past 90 days
  • Any water bills or electric bills that you’ve obtained over the last 90 days
  • Cable TV bills and phone bills that are dated for the past 90 days
  • A rental/lease agreement or a property tax bill

If you can provide two of these documents, you shouldn’t find it difficult to be granted a moving permit. The $10 check that you send must be made payable to the City of Los Angeles. Keep in mind that the check should be $20 for two permits and $30 for three. It’s recommended that you purchase more than one permit to make sure that your parking spot is available for the amount of time that you need it. It’s always possible that the unloading of your moving truck will take longer than a day to complete, which is why it’s important that you’re prepared for this eventuality.

In the event that your check is returned to your address because of insufficient funds, an additional $35 fee will be assessed. The same fee will also be assessed if your check bounces. If you attempt to park in the desired location after your check has bounced, your vehicle will likely be cited. If you would prefer to provide your application and any necessary documents in person, you can do so at one of the four separate public service centers for the Department of Transportation. These centers are located in Downtown Los Angeles, Mid-Wilshire, West Los Angeles, and Van Nuys, which means that there should be a center near you.

Once you have submitted your application and the required documents, the permit should be granted or denied within one week. If you mailed your application, your requested permits will be mailed to the address that you provide within the application. When mailing, make sure that you do so at least two weeks before the date that the permits are needed for. While the permit should be sent back to you within a week, there’s always a possibility that a delay will occur, which would leave you in a complicated situation on the day of your move.

Other Helpful Tips for A Moving Permit

moving tips

Moving permits are highly beneficial in any large city and can keep you from being in a situation where you’re unable to find an open parking spot on the day of your move. It’s important to understanding that moving trucks require at least two open parking spaces, which is why a moving permit is likely necessary. Even though it’s possible to find metered parking spaces in LA, these spaces can cost you nearly $9 per hour. If you need two spaces, your costs will increase to $18 per hour, which can add significantly to your moving expenses.

When you obtain a metered parking space in Los Angeles, your vehicle can be cited in the event that the meter expires. When this occurs, you will need to pay a fine that can range from $65-$80. Instead of going through the hassle of paying a parking ticket, consider applying for a parking permit ahead of your move. Because of how affordable these permits are, there’s no downside to them.

Before you apply for a moving permit, make sure that the parking spaces that you want to reserve are available for moving trucks. Temporary permits for your moving vehicle won’t supersede other traffic and parking regulations/signs, which can include red-curb zones, no-parking zones, no-stopping zones, and street-cleaning areas. If you attempt to park a moving truck in one of these areas, it will almost certainly be cited and could be towed if you don’t move it in a timely manner.

To make sure that your reserved parking spot isn’t taken, it’s recommended that you post the sign you receive between 2-6 AM on the morning of your move. As mentioned earlier, you could also attempt to use a temporary no parking sign. However, the costs of this option are higher, which is why you should opt for an oversized parking permit. As long as you provide the correct documentation, your application should be approved without delay, which will give you time to focus on other facets of your move.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Disclaimer: We do not claim ownership of any media used in our blog posts and we do our best to use only royalty-free stock photography, content licensed from other third party apps or social media, and content that we've produced in order to provide our visitors with the best possible user experience. If you are the owner of any content used on our website and would like us to remove your content, please contact us immediately and we will promptly remove this content from our website. Thank you.

Related Articles